Monday, April 11, 2011

Pictures: Chicken Coop and Community Garden

I'm continuing to work on the coop.

The challenge, all along, has been to design and build something that fits my situation. As I go, I'm trying to use up many of the left over building materials that I've been accumulating over the years.

It's been a good exercise, allowing me a chance to reacquaint myself with the carpentry skills I picked up a long time ago.

I scavenged a large packing crate, ripped the boards in half, then primed them.  The strips will serve as "skip sheathing", providing a nailing surface to attach the cedar shingles to.

I made 12 window and door frames from scrap wood.


Painted them with paint donated by H2.

A mock up of how the window frame will fit in the wall.  Flashing on top, cedar shingles butting up to the frame.

The skip sheathing and window/door frames installed.  It's ready to shingle.

There will be a 5" exposure of each shingle.  The fasteners will be hidden by each succeeding course of shingles.

::::::


A few people have planted in the nearby community garden. 

I store a lot of brown material, mostly leaves collected last fall, in one of my compost bins.  I apply "compost activator", and the temp soars to 140° F.

No comments: